Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What the Tweet is Twitter?


Several weeks ago, I had the pure delight to present Twitter to staff members throughout my school system.  Our very innovative ICT director, Al Rowell, organized LOCO Techno Expo, a system-wide professional development opportunity featuring our teachers.   Learning from other teachers is just great professional development.  Who better to showcase technology than the very ones using it each day? 

My presentation, What the Tweet is Twitter, gave an introductory look at Twitter as another tool for the educator’s toolbox.  If you’d like to see the wiki page I used in the presentation, you can access it here.

I made a few connections with teachers from other schools in my system as our first collaboration took place at the conference.  A few even signed up for a Twitter account.   I love talking to teachers about creative ways to incorporate technology into their classrooms.  I am a firm believer in the “ripple effect”.  Many movements and shifts in thinking begin with just one.  So, I celebrated as a few, tiny ripples began to flow.

 After LOCO Techno Expo was over, I was contacted by Shirley Sainz asking me to do a repeat performance at Valdosta State University’s South Georgia Techonology Conference. Last year, I attended this conference when the fabulous, Vicki Davis, @coolcatteacher, was featured as the keynote speaker.  In the tech world, Vicki is a rock star.  She made my day during her opening remarks about Twitter as she gave a "shout out" to her Twitter friend in the audience, @_zebrastripes… that's me!  Coming back to this event as a presenter was an incredible experience.

There were two questions asked of me after both of these conferences that have since echoed in my brain.  

This is the first. Did I find that older folks are more resistant to technology?

Very happily, I responded that embracing or resisting technology, like Twitter, has more to do with a person’s attitude than age.  My daddy who is in his late 60’s recently signed up for a Twitter account. Yay, for @too__tall!  Okay, truth be told, I signed him up, but regardless he is IN!  He has an open mind and a willing attitude that has nothing to do with his age. 

Yes, there is a lot to learn.  I won’t deny that fact.  As much as I love technology, I learn something new every day.  I am comfortable knowing that there is so much I don’t know, but my goal is to keep moving, growing, and creating.  

The second question… Do I have a blog?    

Ugh! I was totally dreading that question. 

Why? Starting a blog is probably as scary to me as learning about Twitter is to others. 

I have lots of questions about this whole “blogging” thing, but not trying is unacceptable.  

I can’t let my questions or fears prevent me from moving forward with an open mind.  

Do you have any comments or suggestions for me as I begin this blogging adventure?  




    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment